No parts left over so we must have done it right!

After getting the engine off the boat we managed to get it up to the parking lot and into the back of the truck without too much drama. In my previous post I think I forgot to mention that the engine weighs ~400 lb so we were very happy to have gotten the engine out of the boat and into the truck without any damage or injury to us or the boat.

Back at home we did some initial disassembly in the back of the truck to make the engine a little lighter, then we moved it onto a table to continue the work.

A view into the guts of our little Yanmar. Our poor table could barely take the weight.

 

Removal of the cylinder sleeves requires a puller, which we did not have, so we made our own. In the photo below the shiny metal disc is large enough to sit on the lip of the sleeve but small enough to pass through the hole in the block. A piece of threaded rod passes through the piston sleeve and the disc, then a washer and nut are attached.

Looking up through the crankcase at one end of our piston sleeve puller.

In the photo below you can see the other end of threaded rod. It passes through a hole drilled in some very stout steel stock. The steel stock is held in place by two of the studs protruding from the block, as the nut on the right is tightened the steel stock can’t move so the disc inside the crankcase is pulled  up through the block bringing the cylinder sleeve with it.

The cranking end of our sleeve puller. You can see the cylinder sleeve starting to come out of the block.

Our homemade puller worked great and was very inexpensive to build. Total cost was ~$12 for the threaded rod, nuts, washers, and the metal disc (Devon found the steel piece in his toolbox). BTW the metal disc was a threaded flange from the gas plumbing department at home depot and just happened to be the perfect size 🙂

After lots and lots of cleaning of various parts of the engine Devon put in the new cylinder sleeves and piston/ring assemblies.

Shiny new pistons and cylinder sleeves!

After some more assembly we headed back to the boat to reinstall the engine.

Lowering the engine back into the boat.

Having learned a few lessons during the removal, putting the engine back in when much faster and smoother. Removal took about one hour, getting it back into the engine bay took about 30 minutes.

The engine back on the boat, but the work isn't done yet...

We were relieved to have the engine back in place but it still took about 3 hours to finish the installation.

 

 

So….

did

it

work

?

?

?

?

YES!!!

For the first time since we have owned the boat we were able to start the engine when it was cold without starting fluid! And there was no black cloud of smoke, no oily residue in the exhaust water. We haven’t left the slip yet so I will need to report back on whether we have gained any power, but even without any increase the project was a success.

So for a recap:

Monday we pulled the engine

Tuesday was mostly spent on disassembly

Wednesday we put it back together

Thursday we reinstalled the engine

Total cost: ~ $600 including parts,  supplies like oil and sealants, and a few tools like a heat gun and ring compressor.

… and one last note:  Aside from a little assistance from me here and there, Devon did all the work. I was planning to be more involved both to help and to learn, but I have been under the weather since Sunday so I really didn’t do much at all. Devon is awesome, I swear the is nothing he can’t do! No matter what the problem, he always finds a solution. He is a born cruiser!

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “No parts left over so we must have done it right!

    • Thanks! Yeah, the sleeve puller worked great. It was very convenient to find a threaded flange the perfect size, it’s nice when things work out that way.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s